Monday, November 3, 2008

Livin in the Wild Side...

So... the day after Sea World, we headed out to the San Diego Zoo with my awesome sister Melanie.

We all concurred that this was the "liveliest" we had ever seen the place!

We started our journey with the reptile area...


1) we saw a snake yawn... how bizarre it was
2)... see picture below


EWWW now that's gross
please click on it to enlarge...
(do turtles really poop like THAT?)

3)... again, see picture below


buddy... it's just not happening today...
she was saved by the overhanging rock


4) off to the orangutans...
they are always a lively bunch
see pictures below...


he was posing for everyone to take a picture with him...
Gabby of course was NOT camera ready LOL


Mason is mad because he can't touch the orangutan

still #4) While viewing the orangutans we witnessed a most incredible situation...
The mother orangutan was quite upset with her unruly child... she was simply trying to groom him for a presentable appearance for us fellow onlookers, but he had escaped her and ran up the tree. Before we knew it, she was ripping him out of the tree (when I say ripping, I am using that term loosely) as she basically pulled him down out of a tree from about 10 feet up. Upon him landing on the ground, she then smacked him upside the head and threw him up against the viewing window... she my friends was enforcing a lot of physical discipline... but she felt she had to do what she had to do...
We stayed and watched the charade for a good 15 minutes... the child all the while never letting up, and his mother all the while relentless to make him mind and listen!! I must admit I rather enjoyed watching this mother struggle with her son, as I can relate on so many levels as to how she felt...
awwww mother nature at her finest!


5) onto the apes
MY FAVORITE!!

they had all just been fed... so were all snoozing in various positions...
here's momma and her babies ... loving cuddle time.
The silver back would only show us his rear while we were there... in fact at one point he got up... we thought... "what is he going to do!?!?"... but all he did was switch hips, lay back down, still back and rear facing us... THANKS DUDE!!


6) Elephants get excited for treats!

the elephants noticed their care giver in the pen area... they hurried over to see what the fuss was all about... only to be given some yum yums...



7) the rhinos...

too bad they didn't spew any bodily fluids at us...
but it was nice to see them out in the area for once
(I haven't seen them in over 6 years at the zoo.. always off exhibit!)


8) THE BEST OF THE BEST...
the Giraffes

man... he's all up in her business
(moments later after this picture was taken, the female proceeded to urinate all over the mouth and head of the male giraffe... he immediately lifted his head in utter confusion and licked wildly at the air... did he enjoy it? I don't know... but it was quite a site to see... our exact words were... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW that is NASTY)



"when giraffes pee on each other... I think it's great... daddy... not so much!"


soooo tired from walking... they both needed shoulder rides



all of us waiting in line for the panda exhibit


Mason decides to figure out where we will go after the panda exhibit...


9) Momma Panda

shhhh be very quiet... they don't like loud noises...
we even got to see the baby Panda lounging in the tree above... sound asleep.
Let's all say it together.... AWWWWWWWW





we love riding on polar bears.... such a great method of travel!


loungin in the polar bear cave...

10) ZEBRA

Seriously... I had to take a picture...
notice the "5th leg"
If you thought the Clydesdale in the Sea World post was inappropriate or obscene,
take a look here at this fellow... He was LITERALLY swinging it...
and my daughter, yes MY daughter loudly yelled... "THAT ZEBRA HAS A HUGE BLACK PENIS MAMA"
A moment I am oh so proud of ;)





in a punk mood, watching the Hippo


Auntie Melanie and Gabby watching the hippo


the hippo... he's a nice fellow eh?

11) HIPPOS ARE NASTY
So notice all of the happy smiles and the clear water the hippo is swimming in...
after these pictures were taken, this lovely hippo put his a$$ up against the window in such a way, and CRAPPED his brains out... it was an "old faithful" experience of @#$# spewing in the air and the water surrounding him... and quickly turning the water to a nasty green murky color... I swear that hippo was smiling afterwards at all of us as we fled...
NEVER have I seen an exhibit clear so fast... it was utterly disgusting.


Well... that's all for the lively adventure we experienced at the ever famous San Diego Zoo... I hope you enjoyed my rather descriptive posting on our excursion!
Stay tuned for the final chapter of our trip... a boat ride and beach fun...

I hope you all had a lovely Halloween... we had a great one... our friends the Sparks were here for a visit and it was a fun time... shout out to the Sparks... thanks for such a fun visit!!! Can't wait to see you again... Gabby sure misses her Emma!!!

Until next time...
peace and blessings to all...


ps... wow when I post again, we will have selected the new leader of our nation... WOW!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow those are some prolific pics! but really cute nonetheless, justin's face after the giraffe is pretty much priceless. This blog will be great to re-read and remember all the little details that are so easy to forget after the years :)